Sunday 15 December 2019

Travels in time and by Canal

Musing on a Dreary Day

The thoughts of Amanda, Jim and others.

Part One

Please scroll down for parts Nine and Ten

 

I know we said we’d just carry on doing what we set out to do but that was pretty stupid when you think about it. For a start, if you make your living from carrying cargo, then you need a cargo to carry and Mayfly is simply too small for most. It’s also bloody cold and doesn’t have a toilet! Peeing in the bushes may sound amusing, and it’s not so bad in the summer months, but they’ve gone now and its just cold and disgusting now the novelty has worn off a bit. It’s not that I don’t like living on Mayfly because I do very much. She makes me feel cosy and secure but I think even she knows that we need to hole up somewhere whilst the worst shit of the bad weather passes over. Both Jim and I have had a really bad cold, and I even managed to slide on some slush and fall in a lock. Thankfully I’m still here but it could quite easily have turned out to be my last day on this earth. I guess this makes me sound a bit ungrateful to Jim. Before he gave me a half share in her, Mayfly was his boat and I’d rather noisily invaded his life (which was shitty enough for the poor guy without me stirring more dregs up). Still we’re here now and prepared to face the future, and the music, together. I guess that facing the music (or having to) is ultimately part of what happens when you run away from bad things when you are just fifteen years old. I say “just” there because that’s what people would say. You know, “Poor thing, she was only fifteen.” That’s as may be but it was the only option and, apart from all the wind, snow, hail, sleet and general shit descending from the skies at us we have actually achieved a fair bit over the last few months. Part of that has allowed my parents to return to the country which is why I’ll have to be facing the music. They will probably (in equal measures) think that I am completely feckless, irresponsible and also a bit immoral. Worse than that they will more than likely think that Jim is some kind of monstrous ogre that trapped me into a life of whatever they perceive I have been doing for the last few months. They are reasonable people though and I expect they will eventually get the fact that when the law lets you down and the council want to run your life, you have to take the bull by the horns and make up the rules as you go. I can see a lot of older people tutting and saying “That way lies anarchy!” So what if it does. It’s what we did and it bloody well worked. We were even taken in by a community that seems to live by having no rules whatsoever. All of which has altered the way I see the world. In some senses I am still the convent school privately educated daughter of a well to do family but that image no longer fits. For a start, my parents are as broke as it gets, and have been (predictably) rejected by those that were their friends when they had money. Well, bollocks to that lot is all I can say! If people only like you because you have cash then they are no friends of mine. That’s another thing. Yes, Jim and I have had to deal with some really nasty shits along the way but there were far more people that helped and encouraged us for sticking by what we were doing. And what were we doing? Living by our own rules like a pair of “Bloody Anarchists,” I suppose. Like I said, my former life no longer fits and I must follow the path that this odd new one takes me. I no longer want to be the prim and marginally spoiled brat that I may well have turned into. So, for the record, on the shittiest of shitty days, with hardly any cash, damp and confused, I, Amanda Donaldson, am actually pretty happy. So, we don’t know what will happen tomorrow, nobody does. It’s not that long since the Cuba Missile Crisis where we could all have ended up as bloody toast. I’m happy and I’ll take all things that life throws at me, even if that is a giant pie in the face. ©2019 Michael Nye.   www.michaelnyewriter.com


Musing on a Dreary Day

 

The thoughts of Amanda, Jim and others.

 

Part Two

 

 

A few weeks ago I was planning this holiday thing where I went off on a boat and kind of didn’t come back to the same arseholes that I’ve had to put up with for most of my life. Well, arseholes is being a bit tough on some of the people but very generous to others so I guess as an average, arseholes fits the bill pretty well. So, when I said I just wanted to go away and sort my life out someone did tell me to be careful of what I wish for because it may come true. I set off anyway and now I’m in the middle of something that mostly I didn’t wish for. The boat floated, and the engine ran OK, that bit was fine, then it all became some kind of mess that I don’t really understand. The biggest thing in all of the soup is that I’m not alone. I’m sharing what was my space with another person. OK a girl if you must know, and she’s kind of posh as well, not the sort that would even say hello to me normally but here we are. Amanda (that’s her name) is, or was very talkative but I kind of knew she was covering up for something, or making the best of a bad situation. In the end, I guess the situation was that bad that her running away from it with me in a boat was the best of two bad options. I mean I could easily be some kind of evil monster that forces my way on… well, whatever but I guess she’s perceptive enough to know that I’d find it hard to force the skin off a rice pudding. I don’t like being pushy so I get pushed around instead. She probably knows that too, but she doesn’t push me around or hasn’t done yet. In some ways I sort of feel that I maybe should have been sensible and gone off on my own but I can’t help liking Amanda and I do sort of understand that, despite the posh accent and the money she has been used to, it’s all gone now and she was more alone that I was. We’ll have to talk about stuff I guess, but it’s early days at the moment and I’ll wait until she’s ready to spill the beans. There’s plenty for me to spill too but I don’t want to load her mind up with my shit. It’s not fair on her because her stuff is happening now and needs dealing with. People wanted to take her into care and take her home away so I guess this is now her home. Even with having to put up with me, and the fear of the unknown, I do know that living on what she called a glorified packing case is probably going to be better than being institutionalised. That’d just knock the stuffing out of her like it did me, except it would be worse for her because she’s used to an easier life. I could say that it serves her right but that’d be mean. She was born to money so she didn’t get any choice and, she’s basically a nice person, you know, good company and all of that. Now that the basic embarrassment of being two people of opposite sex in a pretty small living space is over, I think we’ll get on well enough to work stuff out. I hope so. In short, I guess I didn’t wish for sharing my adventure but I’m now happy to be doing just that. I’m not a miserable person but not that happy most of the time, or at least I haven’t been. I just roll along from day to day expecting little and getting little, then I found Mayfly and things sort of went weird. Amanda is now a part of that weirdness and I’d really miss her if she wasn’t here. ©2019 Michael Nye.   www.michaelnyewriter.com




Musing on a Dreary Day

 

The thoughts of Amanda, Jim and others.

 

Part Three

 

 

And so this is Christmas, well, sort of. Most of you won’t have heard from me yet, but I wouldn’t worry about that. I’m one of those people whose life has been touched by those two nutters with a wooden boat that that talk to. In fact I may not even exist if it wasn’t for them. Then again my Auntie Linda seems to have stuck the boot in somewhere along the line too. I’m here though and pretty happy with being alive at this time of year. The house is getting ready for Christmas, with most of the bits of engineering hardware tidied or decorated with tinsel. The donkey engine in the garden has a sign with the words of “Little Donkey” attached firmly to it. I know because it was me that did it. I even stuck a few bits of holly to the thing! In the house there is a gearbox in the hallway, and most of a Bolinder Cub oil engine sat by the back door. Mum has decided to drive an old Austin 7 which she bought at an auction instead of anything sensible. I mean it’s pretty cool being picked up from school in it but it’s also pretty cold at this time of year. It’s also pretty cool when Dad arrives on his beautiful old Vincent Motorbike. I sometimes think about other people at school who say that bowls of nuts often are the first sign that Christmas is coming. We have them all year round, but you’d break your teeth on them if you tried eating one! Ours come in various types like, Whitworth, B.A, Unified and even some metric ones. They are always neatly laid out and labelled so you can at least be sure of what you are attempting to eat if you are stupid enough to attempt it!

As the day really begins to approach, Mum starts making bad jokes about her cooking, which actually is a team effort between her and dad, who makes enough bad jokes about his own abilities. It’s true that they have had some disasters, like when the pastry caught fire on some concoction they were doing as a centrepiece. After it was hacked away, the filling was sort of solid enough to stand for itself though and was really quite nice. Then there was the skin on Dad’s special recipe gravy which he reckoned was good enough to make bicycle tyre patches out of. Again though, once it had been removed in one rubbery disc, the gravy underneath it was pretty tasty. The main thing is that we always end up with a Christmas dinner and have a load of laughs getting to the point where it is served. A lot of people don’t get anything close and that makes me sad, but also appreciative of the two complete nutters that are my Mum and Dad. In spite of their almost obsessive interest in all things made of metal, they always put my brother and I first and I also know that a lot of kids would love that bit too. I guess that, even though I curse the stubbing of my toe on canal boat engines, and not being able to get to my school shoes because there is a gearbox in the way, I’m pretty lucky in the grander scheme of things so in a lot of ways life is pretty good even if the lot at school that keep trying to get me to make out that I’m neglected in some way. They are wrong, but when I tell them that I sort of get sent to the head to be told off which is a pain in the bum. O.K. so we don’t get the poshest presents on the planet but at least Mum and Dad think about what we may want and pretty much always get things right. ©2019 Michael Nye.    www.michaelnyewriter.com



Musing on a Dreary Day

 

The thoughts of Amanda, Jim and others.

 

Part Four

 

They played that bloody song on the radio again. I can just about remember it from the radio when I was a kid but even then it was probably and oldie. Each verse ends with the line “And then he kissed me.” That’s kind of OK but a bit sort of sloppy but they played it the day after the canal festival and now I can’t get it out of my head. I mean, one minute we’re looking at a certificate and a little brass plaque and the next… Well, I don’t know what happened except suddenly I’m kissing someone that I hardly know. OK so we bonded over painting a little two stroke boat engine, or that’s what my brother said happened, but I don’t kiss girls. I don’t kiss anyone because it’s daft. Thing is I kissed her, or she kissed me, or we kissed each other and it’s got right under my skin.
I wrote that in what passes for a diary a couple of days after the festival and then hid it at the bottom of a drawer like I wanted to file it out of the way, only they kept playing that bloody song (or it kept going through my head) so in the end my brother told me to write her a letter. That’d be fine but I didn’t really know where she lived. Thanks to her friends it got there and then the whole year kind of blew its stack. She wrote back, I went and saw her and now she’s coming up after Christmas. I mean right after Christmas! Not some fixed date but for the days in between it and new year. We talked about all the sloppy stuff and Romeo and Juliet shit when I was down on a school trip, and then things kind of got screwed over a bit by one of the others on the trip who keeps getting shit from her parents. Things there are sort of OK now in that department but it’s still all temporary. I hope things do sort out because nobody should ever be treated like that. So I guess it’s pretty selfish of me to be shitting bricks because someone who isn’t my girlfriend, or at least I’m not sure what she is, is coming up to spend a few days with my family. I mean I’ve seen her house and it’s massive compared to Mum and Dad’s and I know she speaks really posh which will probably annoy the crap out of both of them but she’s basically a solid person. She just likes messing with bits of engineering stuff which is kind of boys territory I guess. I can’t see anything much wrong with it, and she’s bloody good at it too. I’ve tried to keep my mind off of all of this, but now people at school know, they keep asking stuff that I can’t answer. Mostly it’s all good though because a few of them met her and, despite the posh accent, they kind of just accepted her as one of us which is good in its way. I’m looking forward to Christmas, but I’m actually looking forward to meeting up again and just talking and all the other stuff friends do. ©2019 Michael Nye.   www.michaelnyewriter.com


Musing on a Dreary Day

 

The thoughts of Amanda, Jim and others.

 

Part Five

 

 

If midsummers day (the solstice) is kind of all bound up with me, then so is the winter solstice. I'd have been six months old when I saw my first one. I was held as a baby as the sun came up, and again as it went down. I remember absolutely nothing, nor will little Joshie here. I offered to take him for a walk whilst I thought things through. I know I wanted to be alone, but the little lad talks to me in a way that someone that actually has language can't. I look at him and his big blue eyes look back. There's all these expressions he has that let me know that he sort of knows exactly how I'm feeling. Like when his mum had the baby blues a bit on the heavy side, he somehow got that I was looking after him so that she could get herself into the right head space. I guess he managed to get the message to his mum that I wasn't taking him away too. Right now he seems to be just looking at me as though he wants to know something. I'm pretty sure it's not about his parents and, even if I look away, he still gets my attention. I mean who'd want to look away from such a beautiful little face anyway. What I want to tell him is that things work out, but when I form the words in my head to actually say anything he just looks back and sort of fires the same back at me. He's telling me that things in my life will work out. I mean, how can he know so much when he's only been in the world for half a year. He has no concept of Christmas, birthday, spring or anything much else. He can't write anything and, according to the health visitor, he isn't even that aware that he's an individual human being. Well Joshie, all of that's a load of old cobblers isn't it. Yes, I know I'm from the north and we don't do rhyming slang but it's cobblers anyway. You know far more than anybody thinks you do. Well, apart from your mum and dad, and me of course. We know that what's going on in that little head of yours is kind of pretty awesome. It doesn't matter that you can't walk or feed yourself. It doesn't matter if you pee yourself (and us) or even if your shit stinks (which it doesn't.... Well, not too much and I'll let you off for any bad smells anyway).
Anybody walking past might think I was talking a load of shit into mid air as Josh is in a baby sling under my coat. Thing is I'm not actually speaking in words. This is all going between him and me as he snuggles up to me. I love moments like this, you know, just wandering along the towpath then standing on top of the bridge looking out along the canal. I could stand here for hours today but I know Josh is either going to pee himself, do a poo, or start dropping rather heavy hints that he wants a feed.    
©2019 Michael Nye.   www.michaelnyewriter.com




Musing on a Dreary Day

 

The thoughts of Amanda, Jim and others.

 

Part Six




There are a lot of things you can decide are your first memory, like falling over on a path, or being greeted by a stranger. I have a few like that, little flashes of stuff that whiz through your mind and are gone in a split second. Instead of these fleeting glances, what I attribute to being my very first recollection was when I was around three years old. I just about remember having lived in France but that’s more because of my having been told it so many times. This one is as clear as a film playing through my mind. Of course, like all memories, it merges with others to form a kind of narrative that eventually made my life make sense. I remember well being told that we were going back home, which seemed strange because I was already at home. I don’t remember the journey, or the hotel room when we arrived back “home.” What is burned indelibly in my mind is the first time I saw my brother. There was an instant connection that made it feel like a missing piece of a jigsaw had finally been put into place. Of course that was at a time that I would have been more than likely to try and eat the said jigsaw piece than to actually place it correctly.
My brother is around twenty years older than me but that didn’t matter, the bond was there and I ran across the hotel lounge towards him only to be caught by him when I tripped up. Here he was, my absolute hero of all time, but that was not all. He had a lady with him. I say lady because that was they way I would have referred to her then,. Anyone female was either a girl or a lady in my simple vocabulary. When she was introduced as my sister in law I decided that whatever or whoever she was, all I knew was that she meant a lot to my brother and therefore meant the same to me. I was then told that I was going to be an uncle! I was just three and I remember it as well as if it had happened half an hour ago.
Time seemed to fly and this new brother and his wife were busy making a new home for themselves out of a long derelict lock house. Then the word Christmas was mentioned. The thought of spending the season in the half finished project was suggested and that was it. They were that impetuous so, with what encouragement a three year old could give, the plans were made and things progressed at a crazy pace. This was a time that changed mine along with a good few other lives and soon I was sitting in the shabby kitchen of what was their new home, eating some toast on Christmas eve. I knew I was in the right place and that my father and mother were keen to make up whatever had got between them and their first born. I also knew that I never wanted to be far from my brother and my sister in thingy (as I called her then, because she was far more than an ordinary “Lady”) and that I would love the baby that would eventually arrive whether it was a boy, a girl or a gibbon. I was where I wanted to be and the world was all new. Every time I think of that first Christmas in this country, I smile. I always will do.  
©2019 Michael Nye.   www.michaelnyewriter.com

 

 

Musing on a Dreary Day

 

The thoughts of Amanda, Jim and others.

 

Part Seven




There are a lot of times that I can remember about my little room above the shoe shop, my first Christmas away from the orphanage being one of them. I'd seen decorations go up in the shops, enjoyed conversations as I wandered about the place, and was generally quite happy. I knew that at the orphanage there would be preparations under way to give us poor unfortunates a good time. It usually was quite fun, but I had turned my back on it and faced the day alone. I can't say that I was that worried at the prospect, and was determined not to feel nostalgic for a place that I disliked when I lived there. With that in mind, I set off to Woolworths and bought some of the cheap but pretty decorations, along with a small artificial tree and fairy lights. With everything up it looked quite festive, and, given that I would not be getting anything from my non existent family, I bought and wrapped some perfume and other toiletries. My next problem was getting something for my mentor and good friend Gerald. I had decided on a bottle of good whisky, and a box of nice cigars, but there was the issue of my age going against me. Thankfully the owner of the shoe shop understood my problem and took an hour out of his day to go with me to the necessary shops to buy the items. He also trusted me to keep them in my room until I took them across to the car lot, nicely wrapped and labelled for the man. I wrote plenty of cards and sent them off to the people I knew, giving a wad to Ellen for the orphanage (all of which were signed by my newly invented alter ego Rebecca Smith.)
Gerald was quite surprised when I turned up on the last day before the festive break with his gift, and he accepted it with a smile, placing it on top of his filing cabinet.
“Wouldn't do to open it before the big day,” he smiled.
That was it. I would go home and have a pleasant day by myself, cooking a small version of the big dinner and lazing around. At least that was my vision of how it would be. At about eleven in the morning, the bell went and I set off down to the back door to find Gerald standing there.
“This ain't nothing funny,” he said. “You know I wouldn't don't you lass.”
I knew what he was getting at and, of course, trusted him far more than he probably thought he deserved. I never knew much of the man beyond the workplace, and suddenly realised that we'd never really spoken much about it. I thought there would be a Mrs. Gerald, and some minor ones.
“Got some stuff in the car,” he smiled. “Can't 'ave you spendin' your first Christmas of freedom all alone.”
“What about your family?” I asked.
“Confirmed bachelor,” he smiled back. “Now let's get this stuff in and have a right good time of it.”
I was intending on doing a few preparations then opening my present to myself. Here was my employer with the gift I'd given him plus another parcel which contained his present to me. A really pretty radio, in a small wooden cabinet. This wasn't something cheap, or second-hand but one of the latest ones he could find on sale and such items then were very much a luxury. I protested that it was too much, but he'd have none of it and shrugged off anything I said.
“What's life without a bit of music lass,” he smiled.
He was equally delighted with the rather good Scotch and nice cigars I'd got him, and it was then my turn to shrug anything he said off.
“I'm only really returning what I took,” I said meekly.
“You returned that on the day, with interest,” he laughed. “Then I made you clean the results up didn’t I.”
I will always remember the shade of green I probably turned. I also remember being told that it was a hard lesson, but one that I wouldn’t forget. I guess he could have taken advantage then, but he didn’t.
In all, my first Christmas in the real world was a beautiful time and, after dinner, a few of my friends from the orphanage, who had escaped for a couple of hours, came to see me. When they'd spent too much time with me for them to get back on time, Gerald whisked them away in his car, turning up at their home telling them of how they'd helped him out after some invented misfortune which, with his gift of good sales patter, they of course believed. He then returned to spend a good part of the evening with me before returning to his own home. That was Christmas. Magical as it should have been. I sat and stayed up far too late in my little room by the light of the fairy lights and the warm glow of the tuning dial on my new radio which played dance music into the night. I couldn't help looking at the beautiful little highly polished wooden box that bore the name “Defiant.” Gerald said he thought of me when he saw it in the shop window and thought it was pretty apt, buying the thing on the spot and sorting a radio licence for me as well which in itself wasn't that cheap.
©2019 Michael Nye.   www.michaelnyewriter.com




Musing on a Dreary Day

 

The thoughts of Amanda, Jim and others.

 

Part Eight

 


I shouldn’t say or write this, but I sort of have to so that I remind myself of my new years resolution. It came to me when I heard an oldie played on Rosie’s radio. We’re sort of not allowed stuff like that but she’s an absolute whiz ad hiding all kinds of things from them. In her dorm there’s a kettle, radio, record player and all sorts of bits and pieces they smuggled in which I think is pretty cool of them. They even let me stop with them sometimes, like when someone does a runner for a day or so. I’ll miss all of that when I go but I won’t miss all of the other stuff that happens like calling me by a name that I don’t like answering to, or bad mouthing my dad. I miss him more every day and wish things hadn’t ended the way they did. I was just taken away, and nobody, not since I was nine, has ever explained why. I was happy and safe where I was. I was well fed, and looked after. I hate this place though, I mean I really hate it. This year I just upended my Christmas dinner on the table and walked out of the hall. Sounds like a waste of food but all they serve is puke anyway. Of course I got talked to but I just shut down on them all. For that I was told that I couldn’t go to the New Year party which is no bad thing because I didn’t want to go. So I made up a dummy out of my clothes and left it in my bed then sneaked up the back stairs to Rosie’s dorm. It was just before midnight that I heard the record, “We gotta get out of this place.” That was it. I knew I could and I know I will. The time will come right and I’ll go. I’ve said it before though and said each time that I really will but this year seems a bit different. If I don’t go then what happens to me? I get more of the same shit and I may even get shot full of drugs to make me more normal. I’ve heard that it happened and the result isn’t nice at all. So, what is it that makes this year different from the rest? It sounds daft but if I say there’s someone here that only I ever talk to you’d think I’m mad, and maybe I am but I have spoken to her and she’s as real as I am. It’s not that she said anything to me on New Year either, well, I don’t think she did, but I felt something when, as I looked at my watch go past midnight. It was like a positive “Yes. You can do this and you will do.” Like the watch, I have no idea where the thought came from. It just appeared. The thought was obviously in my head, but the watch was under my pillow on the day I turned thirteen, wound up and ticking. There was a message for me inside it too. Another positive one. It’s like the time is coming, not here yet but coming fast. I hope I will know when it’s right because I don’t want to miss the boat that’s all.
©2019 Michael Nye.   www.michaelnyewriter.com




Musing on a Dreary Day

 

The thoughts of Amanda, Jim and others.

 

Part Nine

 

 

“I'd sort of feel a bit like we were wimps normally,” Christie said, warming her hands on the mug. “But, well it is cold, not as bad as last year. You know my wellies sprang a leak about halfway through. I must have caught a flint or something, but the water came up and slowly filled the left one.”
It was pretty crazy,” Don laughed. “I wonder what anyone would have thought of us if they'd seen.”
“I couldn't imagine explaining that one to Lonnie the perv,” Christie said, also laughing. “I mean they'd get him in to counsel us, you could guarantee it.”
“Hmm, now, Christie, take your time, now, could you tell me how it felt to be forced to watch a model boat in a flooded river? I can understand how this has traumatised you and given you this awful wood fetish,” Don frowned.
“I'm truly and deeply ashamed,” Christie said calmly. “I thought I could handle it. I mean, it was just a small piece of wood, and I thought it didn't matter. It felt good in my hand, but then before I knew it I was turning it into a hanger for Mum and Dad's car keys. That would have been O.K. but suddenly, when I finished, I caught my sleeve on it!”
“I see,” Don replied seriously. “You were hooked.”
Seeing his face, Christie exploded into a fit of schoolgirlish giggles, and was joined soon after by her brother.
“You two are as nuts as the rest of us,” Ian smiled, savouring his soup. “You'd make a good double act, you really would. Do you think we should shift the big version of Jason's boat?” he added.
“River is a bit on the high side,” Jim agreed. “Mand and I were thinking of getting her down to the yard between now and New Year in case it goes over.”
“How about we all make a day of it then” Ian smiled. “There's nothing forecast for tonight so we could do a Christmas run down to the yard tomorrow.”
With all agreed, the family group reformed the following morning to turn Mayfly around and take her on the 3 hour run back to the boatyard. The river was higher, and turning the little boat was harder than normal, but the extra hands made the job easier. Soon Amanda, Jim, Don and Christie were heading down the canal at a steady walking pace through the winter scenery, as the little motor pattered away on the stern of Mayfly. Ian and May had headed off to the yard in readiness for the return journey.
“People do miss a load sometimes,” Chris smiled, looking through the leafless branches. “But I bet it was crap to be heaving huge loads in this weather.
“We always felt a bit guilty about that,” Amanda replied. “But Fly is what we had, and we kind of just did what we did. None of the old boaters ever saw anything wrong with that so I guess we got used to it.”  ©2019 Michael Nye.   www.michaelnyewriter.com



Musing on a Dreary Day

 

The thoughts of Amanda, Jim and others.

 

Part Ten

 

If you want the truth, Christmas were a bit shite this year. Not as shite as other years and it would have been better if I’d not gone off to extent the hand of goodwill to my folks. They extended theirs first so I got a right shiner for my trouble. I’ve not been living far off but I’d seen nothing of them since I left and after that little greeting I decided to keep it that way. Working for my room in a guest house was doing the trick though until this person I’d spoken to a few times on the phone arrives as a chaperone to her friend who is soft on some lad she met in the summer. I guess that’s when everything changed and I at least realised that I weren’t alone.
So, this morning I wake up in the middle of a house full of people that are all friends and the world is a different place. It’s somewhere that people just ignore all of what we’re told are the rules we should live by. And no, it weren’t some kind of orgy or love in or any shite like that, it were just good company, food and being with friends as we stood behind a pub as we counted the new year in. More than any time in my life I knew that this were it. I’m done with what were happening and that’s because someone had the guts to rescue my new friend, the lass that came up as chaperone, from the shite she was putting up with. I don’t mean she was living in some hovel, no,, it were a dead posh house with old stables and a big car with parents that were rich enough to afford that and more if they wanted. So why they spent their time making her life hell on earth I have no bloody idea at all but they still did. Anyhow there’s this little lad that adopts the pair of us when we land here and says that we’re both his aunties. I swore then that if I ever have a kid I’d never lay so much as a finger on them. A look at Masie told me she were thinking exactly the same. How does anybody, how can anybody, raise their hand to a little scrap of a thing that loves and wants to be loved in equal measures. There’s no reason for it. None, and it ain’t happening to either of us again.
So I wake up and hear a song on the radio that says even the bad times are good, and I know that’s the message for the rest of whatever. I know there’s a load of stuff to do and work through but we’ll both get there in some way shape or form and we’ll both be stronger for it. It’s a new year, I’ve made the resolution and I’m bloody well sticking by it.   ©2019 Michael Nye.   www.michaelnyewriter.com


No comments:

Post a Comment